CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

July 29, 2012

TIme to make more counters!

Okay, since I've misplaced my round color counters, I've decided to save a little money and make more of my own using my least favorite food item..... Lima Beans! Definitely not a fan of lima beans, but why not make use of them some other way?!

 I went out and bought a  $3 can of pretty purple spray paint- my favorite color- and sprayed one side of the lima beans.

Aren't they pretty?  Now, if only they actually looked this pretty to begin with, I might actally eat lima beans! :D

You can choose to just leave the other side white, but I think this time I am going to try teal or hot pink.

Make sure to lay all the beans flat (best on wax paper) and allow to dry over night.



Not only are these perfect as counters or chips for games, I also like to use these when I am teaching facts (addends) that make 10 or How Many Ways Can You Make a 10? I also call these facts The 10s Buddies. :)
 I give each child a small dixie cup of 10 beans. They shake their cups and pour the beans on the floor. Then on their paper, they will write the number of white beans + the number of purple beans. Then, they repeat to get a new number sentence that makes 10.
You can do this with any number, just add that many beans in the cup. :)


I made a new sheet to go along with this activity. Click below for your copy. :D

0 comments:

Post a Comment